||King William 1 notifies Turold 4 the sheriff and all the sheriffs in of Bishop Remigius 1’ bishopric that he has transferred the bishopric of Dorchester-on-Thames to the city of Lincoln, on the authority and advice of Pope Alexander 1 II and his legates, and of Archbishop Lanfranc 1 and the bishops of his kingdom, and that he has given enough land there, freed from all customs, for the construction of a mother-church for the whole bishopric and for its buildings. He has also granted the two manors of Welton and Sleaford, Lincs., and the churches of his three manors of Kirton in Lindsey, Caistor, and Wellingore, Lincs., with their lands and tithes. He has added the tithe of the revenues of the two manors, and the two churches of St Lawrence and St Martin in Lincoln. At Bishop Remigius 1’ request, he has also granted the manor of Leighton Bromswold, Hunts., which Earl Waltheof 2 had previously given to Bishop Remigius 1 through William 1’s hand, and also the manor of Wooburn, Bucks., which William 1 had himself given to Remigius 1 with his pastoral staff. He has confirmed the four churches of Bedford, Leighton Buzzard, Buckingham, and Aylesbury, Bucks., which Remigius 1’s predecessors had held.
||1072 x 1087